‘Ironman’ heard of him? Wheather you are a Marvel or DC fan or none, you have to admit you have heard of him. A frictional character by…. Stan Lee, a multibillionaire, playboy and most importantly a tech genius who made a superhero suit with the help of his insane engineering skills, and now saves the world.
The story I am going to tell you today will make you feel that the character is less frictional and more inspired from the person we are going to discuss about in today’s blog, so please read the full blog, I am sure when you finish it, you will get up motivated.
Before we Knew him
Our story starts on the 28th of June, 1971, Pretoria, South Africa, where Mother Maye Musk, a model and dietitian and Father Errol Musk, an electromechanical engineer, sailor and pilot, gave birth to a baby boy whom they named Elon Musk and later to another baby boy and girl named Kimbal and Tosca respectively.
In 1980, Elon’s parents got divorced after which he choose to stay with his father, a decision which he regretted after 2 years and said he was a ‘Terrible HumanBeing’.
Elon Musk attented Waterkloof House Preparatory School and Bryanston High School before graduating from Pretoria Boys High School.
After that Elon’s father asked him to study at the Pretoria college but he decided rather he would move to the United States of America as he said,
‘America is the country where great things are possible more than any country in the world’.
It would be a little tough for him to get to the ‘States’ from South Africa so he planned to move to USA from Canada.
College and Degrees:
He studied at the Pretoria college for 5 months until his Canadian documentation was over. Then he moved to the ‘states’ to study Buisness and Physics in Pennsylvania. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and a Bachelor of Arts degree in physics.
In 1994, Musk held two internships in Silicon Valley during the summer: at an energy storage start-up called Pinnacle Research Institute, which researched electrolytic ultracapacitors for energy storage, and at the Palo Alto-based start-up Rocket Science Games.
In 1995, Musk commenced a PhD in energy physics/materials science at Stanford University in California. Eager to pursue opportunities in the Internet boom, however, he dropped out after just two days to launch his first company, Zip2 Corporation.
To say so, Elon’s Career got started in School when he learnt computing and at the age of 12, he sold the code of a Basic based Video game to PC and Office Magazine for $500.
Now the Big ones
- Zip2 is a company founded by Elon Musk and his brother kimbal in the year 1995 which developed an internet based city guide for thr newspaper publishing industries including maps, directions and yellow pages.
- This company became so successful that in 1999 ‘Compaq’ bought it with $307million and Elon received $22million for his 7% share in the company.
X.com & Paypal
- In 1999, Elon Musk developed a company named ‘X.com’ that provided online finalcial services where he was the CEO.
- This company merged with ‘Confinity’ in 2001 to give birth to the the famous Online Payment website ‘PAYPAL’ where he was in the board of directors.
- But he had differences of ideas with the other members of the board regarding the fact that PAYPAL was a unix based software and for more customer reach, they had to change it to a windows based software.
- PAYPAL was bought by ebay.com in 2002 with a worth of 1.5 billion in the form of stocks where Elon received 168 million who was the company’s largest share holder in the company by owning 11.7%.
- The idea of spaceX started in 2001 when Elon Musk became a part of Mars Oasis project, whose aim was to land a miniature greenhouse along with food crops growing on Martian regolith (dust, soil, broken rocks of mars).
For this they turned to Russia to provide Missiles that could send above mentioned loads to space, but they were turned down by one of the Russian chief designers. In 2002, they again visited Russia with Mike Griffen, Former CIA’s Venture capital arm. This time they were successful to set up a meeting but didn’t make a deal as the Russians quoted them $8million for one missile which Elon thought as very expensive.
- In his flight back to Moscow, Elon came up with an idea of a company that could provide ‘Affodable Rockets’ for space ventures as he calculated that the making cost of one rocket was just 3% of the asking price and if they cut the prices by a factor of 10, they could still enjoy 70% gross profit.
- Elon invested $100million from his fortune and founded a Company named ‘SpaceX‘ short for Space Exploration Technologies in 2002.
- SpaceX had 2 models in development:
Falcon1 and Falcon9 (inspired from Star Wars) which was a type of launch vehicals.
Dragon (inspired from ‘Puff the Dragon’) which was a type of multipurpose spacecraft.
- There was no success till 2006 and a millions drained in the project. There was a hard time for 4 long years and the time was near when they were about to give up.
- But just before this historical blunder, the NASA stepped in, and awarded SpaceX a contract and funds to continue development of theire space vehicals in an aim to transport cargo to the International Space Station if they succeeded.
- After 6 years of research, error and trial, the good day arrived when Falcon1 became the first privately funded, liquid fueled vehical to successfully put a satellite out in the Earth’s orbit in 2008. After their success, SpaceX was given a contract for NASA’s commercial Resupply Service Programme worth 1.6 billion.
- ON 25th May 2012, ‘DRAGON’ was landed on the International Space Station, making history again.
- But the story was not at an end yet. Musk calculated that the only way by which he could make space travel more affordable is to ‘RE-USE the ROCKETS’. Yes that is true, he was planning for a reusable rocket which was a crazy fantasy for space explorers and no more than a dream.
- On December 22, 2015, SpaceX successfully landed the first stage (a reusable part of the vehical) of Falcon rocket back to the launchpad to earth, right from where it was launched.
The act was repeated several times in 2016 and in 2017 they succeeded to land and recover 16 consecutive first stages of their rockets to space and back.
- On February 6, 2018, SpaceX successfully launched ‘Falcon Heavy’ (the 4th highest capacity rocket ever built).The cool part is it carried one of Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadsters to space as a load.
- SpaceX, in 2015 also started the development of ‘STARLINK’, a group of lowearth orbit satellites to provide global internet coverage.
- Tesla Inc. As we know, the most famous motor company for building electric cars was first inxorporated in July 2003 with Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning as the owners and financers.
- All changed in 2004 when Elon Musk funded the company as the ‘series A round of funding’. Musk entered the board of directors as its chairman.
- In the early years Tesla planned to build an electric sports car model which was inspired from ‘AC Propulsion tzero electric roadster prototype’ (an electric car by the company AC Propulsion in the 2000s).
- In 2008, after the global financial crisis a series of conflicts arouse between Eberhard and Musk after which Eberhard discontinued working for the company. After that Musk took leadership as the CEO and product architect of the company, a position he holds still today.
- Tesla’s “master plan”, as iterated by Musk was:
Build sports car. Use that money to build an affordable car. Use that money to build an even more affordable car. While doing above, also provide zero-emission electric power generation options.
- In 2008, Tesla build its first sports car named ‘Tesla Roadster’, a car we all know today as the fastest electric car beating big horsepowers like the ‘Ferrari ’, ‘Lamborghini’ and the most notorious ‘BUGATTI’ in the 2008s, quiet obvious as the car has the capabillity to reach 0-60mph in 1.9 sec.
- As their master plan, in 2012,Tesla launched their 4 door car series the ‘Model S sedan’.
- In 2015, they launched the Tesla ‘Model X’.
- Not only for Tesla cars, but Tesla INC. Sold electric powertrains system(main components of an electric vehical) to Mercedes for their B-series electric vehical and Toyota for their RAV4 EV.
- In 2016 Tesla came up with their most affordable car the Tesla ‘Model 3’ only for $35000 (Rs 26.5 lacs).
- In the same year, Tesla developed their ‘AutoPilot Technology’ for Vehicals in partnership with ‘Mobileye’.
- Electric cars got their power from ‘Lithium-Ion battries’ but the global production of Lithium-Ion batteries were very less in numbers for the production of cars they had planned. Hence Musk decided to put up the biggest Lithium-Ion Factory in the world with partnership with ‘Panasonic’.
- In 2016, the factory was complete and was named ‘GIGAFACTORY 1’ which was opened in Neveda, USA, which produced 35GWh/yr of batteries.
- In 2017, Musk made a contract with the south Austrailian Goverment for worlds largest lithium-ion battery pack to beat energy blackouts and promised that the project would be finished within 100 days or would be free of cost.
- In 2019, Tesla opened its first Gigafactory outside U.S. which was in Sanghai, China.
- In November 2019, Tesla revealed the all mighty Tesla ‘Cyber Truck’ in Los Angeles which was in controversy for its shape, looked as if it came out straight from a 2001s video game. Secondly, to prove the strength of the window glass,there was a gimmick of throwing a stone at it butit didn’t work out and shattered infront of the audience and the media.
- Solar city is actually an area which delivers electric energy, converted from solar energy. The initial plan was given by Elon Musk to his cousins Lyndon and Peter Rive in 2006.
- By 2013, Solar City became the 2nd most largest provider of electric power through solar energy in the entire U.S.
- In 2016 Tesla INC. Accuired Solar City and now is a subsidary of Tesla.
- Solar City plans to build a solar city advancein Buffalo, Newyork, which would be thrice the size of the largest solar producer in U.S.
- Hyperloop is a 2013 concept that is under developement. It is a high speed transportation system where a pressurized capsule rides inside a reduced pressure, on an air cushion, driven by linear induction motors and air compressors. The proposed plan is being built between Greater Los Angeles and SanFransisco Bay in around $6 billion.
- ‘OpenAI’ deals with the developement of artificial intelligence and availing it to everyone and is a ‘non-profit organization’.
- Started in 2015, OpenAI was important because if it is owned by a single organization, it would become too powerful and could use it for their own profits. By availing it to everyone, this power isdispersedfor the good of humanity.
- Tesla’s AutoPilot feature is an example of ‘OpenAI’ and with that we can say that it is way ahead of time but needs a bit of improvement in some fields as the AutoPilot feature is not 100% efficient (Still cant interprete forced diversions).
- Neuralink is a startup company founded by Elon Musk in 2016. This company is developing a technology where ‘artificial intelligence’ can link with the neurons of a human brain.
- If this technology is successfully developed, we can actually implant devices in our brain, increase the memory power and also uploading any kind of external data in the human brain.
The Boring company
- On December 2016, Musk was stuck in traffic, and tweeted “I am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging”.
Most of the people thought it was a momentary frustration but he was serious.
- He found out a company which developed boaring machines named the ‘Boring Company’.
- He belived that a 10-fold decrease in the cost of digging tunnels per mile is quiet nescessary for economic feasibillity.
- In february 2017, the company began digging a 30 foot wide, 15 foot deep ‘test trench’ under ‘SpaceX’ office in Los Angeles.
- By 2018, TBC (The Boring Company) had digging contracts in a number of sites in Baltimore, Chicago and Los angeles.
- The company, in 2018 has revealed the idea of a new boaring machine named ‘Prufrock’.
- In February 2020, TBC released the images of a working ‘Prufrock prototype’.
- Annoyed by the media criticizing the Tesla factory safety procedures, Musk started a new website where anyone can rate the truthfulness of an article, news, publisher or journalist.
The name of the website is taken from a newspaper of the sovieth union era. Muskhas been very critical of media coverage of Tesla lately.
He accused media companies of “holier-than-thou” hypocrisy and said distrust of journalists was key to President Donald Trump’s election.
Moral of the story
If you are here reading this, you know that, Any problem MR. Elon Musk faces, he builds a new technology or a never end efficient way to deal with that problem.
- He thought payment was a headache, he created ‘Paypal’.
- He thought Space explorations were costly, he created ‘SpaceX’.
- He was stuck in traffic, he created ‘The Boring Company’.
Every big invention that changed the history of humanity, started to cope with a problem.
In our everyday life, we all face certain issues that annoy us, even small as reaching somewhere late becauseof traffic to big as not having a healthworker or doctor near you when its an emergency. There will be a day when a smart human being with a knowledge of science would invent something like Doraemon’s ‘Anywhere Door’ or ‘Bamboocopter’ to deal with the traffic and an Artificial Intelligence based Robot working as a healthworker with all basic and emergency animities fed into them. The good thing is he/she can be one of you reading this.So best of luck from our side Thank You.
NOTE: Elon Musk, in his 25 yr of career, did so much that I could not keep this in one blog . But I have kept it as precise as possible and tried making each line as reader-friendly as possible. So if you liked this blog or it helped you in any way, Please let us know and Please support our work, and if you want such blogs on any of your favourite topics, please let us know. We post blogs on the most trending topics, so please read about your desired ones only on tuaqa.com
Now After Knowing The History Of Elon Musk, You Can Visit The Working Of Electric Car By Tesla & Other Cpmpanys.
Click The Image To Read The Article On Electric Car.